- Fitrah for this year will be 4kg of rice.
- Fidyah for this year will be 1kg of rice.
FITRAH AND FIDYAH
- The cash equivalent for Fitrah will be R36 per person.
- The cash equivalent for Fidyah will be R9 for every day missed.
- Pregnant or breastfeeding mothers who are prevented from fasting by concern for their children are advised to give fidyah in kind only, and not in cash.
- Fitrah may be given out any time after Ramadan has begun, up to the time the imam ascends the mimbar on the morning of Eid.
- Failure to give it out within the prescribed period does not absolve one from the duty of giving it out, but deprives one of the full merit of Fitrah.
- Fidyah becomes wajib day by day. It must not be given in advance. It can only be given for a particular day once that day has started.
- It is therefore advisable to delay fidyah till the end of Ramadan.
FITRAH AND FIDYAH DISTRIBUTING ORGANISATIONS
- Community organizations involved in the collection and distribution of Fitrah and Fidyah are advised to request indication from potential recipients as to whether they prefer to receive Fitrah in cash or in kind.
- Where no compelling reason exists to act otherwise, the preference of those who opt to receive in cash should be accommodated.