The Fatwa Committee of the Muslim Judicial Council is pleased to announce the following quantities and values for Ṣadaqat al-Fiṭr and Fidyah:
- In-kind – 3 kg of rice (rounded off from 2.94kg)
- In-Cash – minimum of R40
- In-kind – 1 kg of rice (rounded off from 735 g)
- In-Cash – minimum of R10
- Pregnant and breastfeeding mothers who give Fidyah should do so in kind only, and not in cash.
- It is permissible to pay Fiṭrah at any time after Ramaḍān has commenced.
- The obligation to do so sets in on the eve that Ramaḍān ends, either by the sighting of the moon or the completion of 30 days.
- Fiṭrah should ideally reach its recipients before the Eid ṣalāh.
- Failure to give it before Eid ṣalāh does not absolve one from the obligation. It should still be given out before the day ends.
- Delaying it beyond sunset on the day of Eid without a reasonable excuse is ḥarām.
- Those who are unable to pay the full amount should pay whatever they are able to pay.
- The head of the household is responsible for paying Fiṭrah on behalf of all those in the household for whose maintenance he is responsible.